I use XSLT all the time, more and more in fact. Obviously we use it as part of the publishing engine of Open Harmonise, but there are far more uses that we put it to. Mostly these are for data preparation or presentation. For example a goal in many of our projects is to end up with XML data sets that our clients can give out to industry, but very few, actually none, of our clients are willing to look at the XML documents to QA them. When this happens a quick XSLT later and they have HTML documents to do the data QA on, if any changes have to happen to the original XML then all we do is regenerate the HTML again.
One of the features of XSLT that I've known about for a long time and not really used is the "key" element/function set. I haven't used this as it has been quite badly supported within XSLT processors, however this doesn't matter so much when I'm doing this data preparation work as the only place I need it supported is within the Sonic Stylus Studio processor, which has excellent support for all of XSLT. I haven't checked out the support in most Java processors for a while, I imagine it is much better.
Well today I finally found a reason for trying "key" stuff out again. I am preparing some data, a rather large single XML data set from a client for import into a system we are building in Open Harmonise. Some of the data associated to parts of the XML contain Value Codes which need to be converted in the correct Paths to the Values within the Harmonise repository. I published a set of files which provided mappings from Codes to Paths and used these in the main XSLT. Unfortunately these are rather large files with several thousand mappings in them, and they are referenced several thousand times as the main XSLT is run. This meant a 9 minute wait for the processing to finish.
XSL "keys" are designed specifically for this purpose, to make lookups very, very fast. There is only one problem, you cannot directly reference an external XML document (using the document() function) from a "key" element. After some hunting around I found the solution, and here it is.
<xsl:variable name="externalDoc" select="document('doc.xml')/child::ROOT"/>
<xsl:key name="lookupKey" match="CHILD" use="@id"/>
The variable at the start contains the external XML document's root element but the key is setup as normal, as if the key was being used in the main context document. The named template is created so that we don't have to have this XSL code all over the place every time we want to use the key.
The template takes in 2 parameters, the first "lookup" is the variable that we set up at the start pointing to the root of the external document, I did this because in my XSL I had several external documents I was using. "ID" is the other parameter, which is the value we are going to pass into the key.
We then use a "for-each" element on the lookup variable, which remember is the root element of the external XML document. While using a "for-each" on a root element may seem silly, there will of course be only one of them, this is done to set the current context to that XML document. Keys always operate within the current context, therefore the key will now work with the external XML.
There are much simpler ways of doing this, simply navigating the external XML without have to change the context to use keys, however this solution brought my 9 minute XSL processing down to a more managable 30 seconds.